Mole Removal in Charlotte, NC
Darst Dermatology offers personalized mole removal in Charlotte, Matthews, and the surrounding North Carolina communities.
What Is a Mole?
All adults have a few moles, but if you have fair skin, you’re more likely to have them. In fact, you may have dozens spread across your body. Moles result from a high concentration of melanin, a dark brown pigment that can occur on your skin, hair, and eyes.
For the most part, moles are harmless. However, if you notice changes in a mole, you should have Dr. Darst examine it immediately. That’s because atypical moles can be a precursor to melanoma, a serious type of skin cancer. You should make an appointment with Dr. Darst if you have moles that have any of the following characteristics:
- Larger than a pencil eraser
- Oddly shaped and not symmetrical
- Include more than one color
- Are different from other moles on your body
Don’t ever try to remove a mole yourself. Not only could you damage your skin or cause an infection, but if the mole is cancerous, a doctor needs to provide care to ensure the cancer cells don’t spread.
How Are Moles Removed?
Dr. Darst removes moles during a simple office visit. He will use one of these techniques:
- Surgical shave biopsy: After your skin is numbed, Dr. Darst uses a surgical blade to scrape the mole away. These don’t usually require stitches, and the mole will be sent to the laboratory and tested for cancer following this procedure.
- Surgical excision: Dr. Darst numbs your skin and cuts out the entire mole and stitches the skin closed. The mole will be sent to a lab for further testing to determine if cancer cells are present.
Dr. Darst, a board-certified dermatologist, offers expert mole removal to residents of Charlotte, Matthews, and other Metrolina communities in North Carolina. Schedule a consultation today by calling 704-321-3376. Darst Dermatology is conveniently located at 11301 Golf Links Drive North, Charlotte, NC 28277.